Thursday 10 April 2014

Divergent

Recently I found myself at the cinema watching this movie, I went into this experience having not read the books and really with only watching the trailer once. However the hype around this movie and the love of the books that so many people had expressed did intrigue me. I find that when you go into a movie with expectations that high that it never really does justice, however reminding you that I have not yet read the books this movie has me hooked. I fully intend to read them, one of the most interesting things about this story is that it was created by someone who was the same age as me when it was written. I know that even though I have a keen interest in story telling I would not be capable of achieving what Veronica Roth has.

At times I did find the movie rather predictable but overall it kept me engaged and interested, this nowadays with the amount of similar books such as The Hunger Games which I certainly could see a clear comparison with I still saw that the elements that the story brought were new and innovative. The constant love then dislike of characters such as Caleb Prior left me wondering what my opinion would be at the end of the movie. I do believe that this book/movie has been greatly successful due to the era it has been released in where teenage audiences seem to be dominant within the literature and cinematic industry.

This movie I would say certainly appeals to a certain age range and had I been older or younger I feel that it may not have interested me as much as it did. Unfortunately this means that this movie may not be for everyone, and I also wonder as it is such a big brand in the US whether it really is going to take off here in the UK. The opening day certainly did not consist of long ques and full screens, however I do hope that people become more aware of it and go see it because it really is a good watch.

Speaking of the acting, I haven't really seen any previous work of the main characters played by Shailene Woodley or Theo James, I do however believe that they sold the story to me and as a huge fan of The Fault in Our Stars I am looking forward to seeing how Shailene takes on the polar opposite of Tris in her role as Hazel. Although after watching Divergent I am certain she will not disappoint and I will be picking up the books for a read and hope to see the other books in the trilogy made as well as this one was.

No comments:

Post a Comment